This camp, consisting of 11 weeks in-residence at betaworks starting on January 16th 2018, will focus on augmented reality, computer vision, and 'camera-first' applications/services. Everything that becomes possible when the camera knows what it's seeing.
The program is designed specifically for builders in the early stages of product development, with at least a beta but who may not have yet launched their product or raised institutional risk capital (i.e. pre-launch & pre-seed). We are flexible to work with teams with launched products or who have already raised some capital.
Online applications for visioncamp are now closed.
Botcamp, betaworks’ first accelerator program, brought together eight teams working on conversational interfaces and chatbots in the summer of 2016. Similarly, this past spring voicecamp supported eight early-stage companies working at the forefront of voice-based applications and services.
Tying these themes together is a conviction that, as computing becomes more ubiquitous, the best software will deliver experiences that are more conversational, more ambient, more frictionless, and more context-aware, whether textual, audio or visual.
As a continuation of that conviction, visioncamp will explore emerging ways to augment and enhance how we view and understand our surroundings. New products in this category leverage smartphone cameras and sensors, as well as AR headsets. They employ computer vision techniques and take advantage of an explosion of available visual data. They create stickers, filters, overlays, and more immersive “mixed” realities, experiences only now possible with cameras that understand what they see.
And with nearly every large technology company releasing tools to build augmented or mixed reality experiences on top of their platforms, the time is right for developers to start building in this nascent space.
Betaworks has been building and investing in conversational UI and mixed reality companies for several years. By gathering small groups of hyper-related companies in a concentrated and tailored program, we provide a unique setting to help accelerate both individual companies and the emerging ecosystems around these frontier technologies.
8% of common stock in each company is allocated to betaworks. A $200,000 uncapped, SAFE note with a 25% discount is offered to all visioncamp companies. Each company selected into visioncamp gets:
- Eleven weeks in residence at betaworks in New York City with optional office space for 1-2 cofounders.
- Hands-on guidance from the betaworks team in areas such as product, platform integration, data science, branding, and fundraising.
- Sessions on various aspects of building your company from user acquisition to computer vision toolkits by the people who are building those platforms and tools.
- Access to our early adopter network, openbeta.
- Speakers from the top platforms supporting visual computing.
- Work with mentors from VC funds actively investing in the category.
- Promotional credits from vendors such as AWS, Digital Ocean, Twilio, Azure, SVB, etc.
To learn more about camp at betaworks, please visit betaworks.com/camp.
A few more of our thoughts:
- The State of Mobile AR by Peter Rojas
- Inflections and Reflections and camps@betaworks by Patrick Montague
- Listening to Bots and betaworks fund by John Borthwick
- Interfaces on Demand by Matt Hartman